🔕 🔔

what's your favorite way for roasting an organic chicken, and what do you like to do with the leftovers? I am roasting this chick for dinner tonight -- should I be doing something with it this afternoon? marinate it in something?

asked by sarah56 about 7 years ago

D1964e69 bde7 422d 9621 9d8c1f7bc3cf  newliztoqueicon 2

Maybe my recipe on the site will be helpful - "Roast Chicken with Meyer Lemons". You can substitute any kind of lemon...

2efd7cd1 7675 47a5 8679 83558bbfa42b  roast chicken with meyer lemons

My recipe for Beg, Borrow and Steal Roast Chicken, here on food52, based on monkeymom's Wishbone Roast Chicken recipe. You should be air drying the chicken in the fridge now, if you're going to roast it tonight. By the way, you can dispense with putting the tamarind and cilantro sauce under the skin, if that's too much trouble -- just rub it with kosher salt and put a touch of it under the skin -- but you should make the sauce, as that really makes the dish. If you even have any leftover chicken . . . . cut into bite-sized pieces and mix with the leftover sauce in a big bowl of brown rice, and warm it all gently, for a tasty treat.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

how many pounds is this chicken is really important for temp and time? I am getting ready to roast two 3 1/2 pounders for tonight and left overs. I will season them simply, let them sit at room temp for 30 minutes and then roast them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes and then rotate them 180 degrees and go another 30 minutes. Check to see if they are done and roast more if needed. These are small birds they can handle the temp larger birds 4 1/2 lbs plus need lower temp and more time.

Affe21c7 a0e0 4075 8909 7b6978e9509b  pic

I loosen the skin from the chicken, and rub salt and pepper under the skin. Then tuck a few tarragon sprigs under the skin. Rub the whole bird in butter, and bake at 400 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half. Use the bones and carcass to make yummy broth -- add water (to carcass) in a large pot, bring to a boil, turn down to low and simmer for 4-6 hours. Strain, salt and freeze for later use.

Most importantly: save the carcass and make your own organic chicken broth. Take 6 quarts of water and bring to a boil, add any vegetables you have on hand (I stock up at the farmer's market, cut them up and throw them in the freezer just for this... the usual: celery, carrots onions), mince up some garlic cloves, thrown in a bay leaf or two and your carcass. Cook it down until it's a quart or two, which takes several hours, strain and freeze. I would not salt it -- wait until you know what you will use it for and add salt then. You can also sweat the onions and garlic first before adding the water.