🔕 🔔

David Lebovitz's Celery Root Soup

Too much liquid?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked 7 months ago

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I don't know what happened to my question, but here it is: this recipe (http://www.davidlebovitz...) calls for 3 cups of stock and 3 cups of water. Doesn't that seem excessive for one large celery root and a couple of leeks? In the recipe, he doesn't ever say what to do with the water, except to cut the thickness after you puree the end product if it's too thick for you. I'm reluctant to subject that few vegetables to that much liquid - am I crazy?

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I don't think so -- it's a 3 lb celery root, and the recipe is meant to serve 8 to 10. Even though it doesn't explicitly say, I think he intends for the water and stock to be added together (w/ additional to thin if needed).

Agree on the amounts of liquid (6c) relative to volume od celery root (est about 6 c trimmed and chopped celery root, plus more leeks).
I generally find his recipes reliable, but admit this one could be clearer.
Last, if you're interested on making this but still worried about too much liquid, start with the 3c stock, and add more of that or water to taste).

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Nancy, the celery root you get at your market must be enormous. I bought three - and failed to weigh them, unfortunately because I am not trekking back to the store to buy more - anyway, altogether they came to about 2 lbs. I'm just going to add a bunch of pears! I'm going to take your advice, though, and see where I get with just the stock; I'll be prepared to top it all up with water to taste. Thanks!