A question about a recipe: Cheese and Herb Star Bread

059216d4 6dda 4fb7 87b7 b4872a50c4cc  2017 1116 making magic bread rocky luten 4213

I have a question about the recipe "Cheese and Herb Star Bread" from Posie Harwood. Where do I find potatoe flour or can I use regular flour? And if yes, then what amount

asked by tatiana over 1 year ago

Potato flour is the same thing as potato starch. If you're in the US and you can't find in among other baking items, look for a Kosher section or a Scandinavian shop. Substituting flour would change the texture of this amazing-looking bread.

Chris, I used to think that potato flour and potato starch were identical, but now I'm not so sure:
https://www.glutenfreegigi...

Thanks for chiming in, Nancy. I sort of remembered hearing something like that as well--that although potato flour and starch are often the same, there's another potato flour as well. In this case, looking at the recipe, I was pretty sure that she wanted potato starch. Potato starch is a fairly common addition to Swedish baked goods. A look at the article you posted just confirmed my guess that it's potato starch that Posie Harwood wants for this recipe.

Too bad it's so confusing, as that recipe looks fantastic!

Well, now I've been mulling it over some more, and I think she could mean the potato flour that's not potato starch. I'm going to send her a message, and we can hope she responds.

Posie (Harwood) Brien

Potato flour not potato starch! You can also use instant mashed potato flakes. I get mine here: http://www.kingarthurflour...

Thanks!! Sorry for leading people astray!

Bob's Red Mill makes it, they have a website and sell just about any type of flour you are looking for.