🔕 🔔

I am doing a chopped home edition, and I got the ingredients cantaloupe, shrimp, and pimento peppers... what should I make?

any ideas? I can use other common household ingredients... im thinking maybe asian rice noodles with shrimp and a cantaloupe sauce??? what are some of the other ideas on what to do?

asked by hans 6 months ago

For an appetizer course, make a gazpacho or salsa using, among other things, the cantelope and pimento. Garnish with grilled shrimp on skewers.
If the rules permit, consider making a cocktail uaing the cantaloupe and pimento, again garnish with shrimp.
Last idea (for appetizer or main) make shrimp cake (like crab cake) with a chutney garnish including the cantaloupe and pimento.

What else could I add (side dish wise) with the "shrimp cakes" so that its not just that. A cantaloupe spinach salad? Ideas?

Make a cantaloupe quick pickle and serve it and the shrimp cake on a hamburger bun (as a sort of seafood burger).

Any ideas that are possibly... more gourmet? I like that idea though. Im also thinking no starches as im using bread crumbs in my cakes.

Hans, glad you liked the shrimp cake idea.
If you think the burger idea is too casual (not gourmet enough?), think up some more formal presentation...
Good luck and please tell us what you (eventually) make.

Haha thank you! Do you have any salad ideas that include the cantaloupe?

E6cc818c 9990 49bb a1ae 7248b20e01ad  fb avatar

Maybe a cucumber, cantaloupe and red onion salad with a light rice vinegar dressing and sesame seeds?

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I'd make a Shrimp Cocktail served in a large Martini glass. Using the cantaloupe and pimento make a cocktail sauce. Blend them in a food processor add a bit of prepared horseradish, mayo and fresh lemon and/or lime juice. Place small amount of sauce in glass, top with shredded greens, shrimp on top. Cut lime and lemon wedges to hang on glass rim. Serve addition sauce for dipping in small glass bowls.

That sounds so good! I actually made shrimp cakes (crab cakes) and a salad with the cantaloupe. I do like that idea though! I will use it in the future. :)