Cookbook Club (2/3) -- Favorite pie-making tip you learned this month?

Tell us about your favorite trick you learned from Art of the Pie (or from your pie-making peers in the Facebook group)!

(Thread 3/3 will be questions specifically for author Kate McDermott, and will go up closer to our 12pm EST chat time with her!)

former Community Editor

asked over 1 year ago

former Community Editor

I'm now set on using my cocktail shaker for ice water thanks to Amy Chen (and the fellow pie lover in the Pie Nation Facebook group (co-founded by Kate McDermott) that she learned it from)—it eliminates the chance of rogue ice cubes slipping out and messing up your ice water measurement!

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

This is the best tip ever! I'm going to be using it, too!

Spenser Durrick

Leaf lard is the key to an amazing crust!! Also, I learned that the fridge is my best friend when making dough. :)

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

It was a real game changer for me when I first learned about it!

former Community Editor

I also really appreciated the very precise food processor directions for pie dough in Art of the Pie. When I've used a food processor in the past before for pie dough it came out tough, but Kate's came out perfectly, her all-butter dough made in the food processor is my new go-to dough!

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Great to hear! I always hold back a little water and then finish off the food processor crust by hand.

Aryss

To chill my flour as well as my bowl as well as a fork to mix the dough with. The dough turned out so beautifully! Also, due to the failure of one of my meringues, I learned a ton about how meringues work, why they sometimes don't work, and how to work with them which I thought was fantastic!

Kate McDermott-Art of the Pie

Excellent! It's all about the continued learning of this craft.

MomMom

Keeping flour and bowl in my freezer - great tip, thanks!