How do you cut and eat a navel orange?

carrie_ann_lucas

Either peel and separate the orange into its sections, or you can quarter the orange and eat out of the peel.

Here's a cool how-to video:

http://www.food52.com/blog...

Quartering it is the easiest way. But it depends on how you want to use it. Out of hand or in salads etc. For the latter use a sharp paring knife to peel off the rind and trim away as much white pith as possible. Cut off the north pole and the south pole. And then separate longitudinaly into sections. Fancy French term for this is "supremes"---not the Motown group. Alternately, slice it latitudinally for thin flat pieces. with the point of the knife pick out the seeds.

puresugar

As a kid, my mom would 'do' our oranges this way: Using a paring knife or veg peeler, take off a layer of rind, about 1/3 of the orange, at the stem or blossom end...then cut out a cone at that end, making a hole at the top of the orange. For my school lunch, the cone 'lid' could go back in for the trip to school in my Muppets lunchbox. To eat, squeeze the orange to fill the hole with juice, drink, repeat. Hungry enough & I'd turn the orange inside out after juicing and eat...

Peggy Snell Anderson

I love this method.

Peggy Snell Anderson