🔕 🔔

I just saw 18 Grain Bread at my grocery..when does it stop? How many grains do I need?

asked by XXX-XXX-1371 almost 6 years ago
C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

The more "grains" there are, the less of each there is. Most of this is window dressing. Look at the ingredient list, which is ordered by weight -- more is first, less is last. If the first ingredient is "flour" or "wheat flour" what you have is primarily a white bread. Also, look at the grams of fiber -- more fiber, more whole, although brans can be added to boost the fiber (not a bad thing, although wood pulp used to be used as the fiber ingredient). Actually, my first test for a bread is the squeeze test: no mush! So, what you buy depends on what you want and need -- bypass the marketing!

I think it's so silly to have too many ingredients in a bread. I like the taste of whole grains, but like to be able to tell what I'm eating! I'd prefer a great loaf with a few ingredients. I agree with susan g too - a lot of those "multi-grain" breads are just using grains as a marketing ploy and are really white bread wrapped in a quinoa-flaxseed-amaranth-millet-rye-barley-wheat-rice-teff-oat-corn-sunflower-poppy-buckwheat-spelt cloak!

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

There's a great site for these kinds of questions called Fooducate. Really breaks down the circular talk of food producers.