Macaroon mistake: I bought unsalted, dry roasted sliced almonds, thinking I could use them to make macaroons for Passover, but I see that all recipes

call for BLANCHED almonds or almond flour. If I use mine, how will it affect the taste, as the almonds will be ground up in a food processor anyhow? Thks,

asked by barb48 over 1 year ago

The cookies will taste fine...roasting adds depth of flavor. I would worry if they are salted roasted.

Stephanie B.

I think blanched almond flour in macaron is to get a smooth uniform color - sounds like yours still have the skins on them, but I don't think this would do anything besides make your cookies a little darker. I second the other answer that the roasted almonds will probably add a nice flavor.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I love grinding up whole nuts for macaroon/macaron....it gives them so much more character.