🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Jane's Molasses Gingerbread Cookies

59e06886 309c 4f07 aab5 fca9fa0483b6  2014 1010 molasses cookies 013 copy

I have a question about the recipe "Jane's Molasses Gingerbread Cookies" from Lindsay-Jean Hard. What is a cookie press? I'd love to try this recipe and the wavy shape is super cute.

asked by The California Table 8 months ago

A cookie press is a tube fitted with an end plate that you push the dough through shape the cookie. Some of the plates make little wreaths and others designs. Cookie presses are great for soft doughs, especially Spritz cookies, which are full of cream cheese (a Christmas favorite in our house).

That said, this recipe is, except for the use of the cookie press and the way the instructions are phrased, identical to the recipe that's been on the side of the Brer Rabbit Molasses jar at least since I was a young girl. The cookies can also be made by rolling the dough into one-inch balls, rolling the balls in sugar, placing them on a buttered cookie sheet 2" apart, and baking for 6-8 minutes. Let the baked cookies stand for a minute before removing to a cooling rack.
If rolling instead of pressing, chill the dough for at least an hour or two, which will make it easier to roll. ;o)

P.S. Buttering the cookie sheets is key. The great Mimi Sheraton, writing in the New York Times over 35 years ago, irrefutably makes the case for doing so: "Nothing else does so much for the finish and flavor." ;o)

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

In addition to AntoniaJames' suggestion for rolling the dough into balls, to get closer to the shape shown, you can also just roll the dough out thinly and cut it into strips (or use cookie cutters).

I'd never seen the Brer Rabbit Molasses ones AJ, thanks for pointing that out -- there are just a few small differences in the ingredients between the two.

9eea518d 6e8f 4d88 afa9 49133a4f7be5  baking

It also depends on how greasy the cookie dough is. Most of the cookie press recipes that I've made have been greasy enough that I didn't need to grease the pan.
(P.S. This is what a cookie press looks like.)

B04b8ab0 6105 4367 b429 0e4e1717936b  cookie press

I agree, Bethara, that most traditional recipes for cookies put through a press have more than enough fat. This particular dough however benefits from a buttered pan. ;o) P.S. Love that photo! I have a cookie press but rarely use it, and have never tried some of the discs. I'm inspired now to play with it more.

That makes sense, AntoniaJames. I just Googled 'cookie press' and grabbed a random photo. You should play with your cookie press, you can do a lot with it.