🔕 🔔

What's the best way to handle very sticky scone dough? Turned out OK, but could have been prettier.

I made mini buttermilk scones from a King Arthur recipe, and had a tough time dealing with the sticky dough. The idea was to cut the dough into mini scones and bake them as discrete pieces. Mine were scored but I could not separate them. I ended up baking for a while, then cutting and baking more. They do taste great and the texture is fine.

asked by SpecialSka over 6 years ago
B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Did you use King Arthur flour? If you used a different one, it might have made a difference in the consistency. My standard for sticky dough is to knead in a bit more flour.

Cfdd183b f2d3 436f abf5 4a8285003ba1  monica

IV

I've had luck using wet hands to smooth the tops. Also try not to handle any more than absolutely necessary.

Let your dough sit a couple of minutes so the flour can absorb some of the moisture. Dump it onto a floured surface and sprinkle a little flour on top. Gently press it out with your hands and fold it over on itself using a bench scraper or spatula, about six folds. Gently press it out again to desired thickness (I use 3/4 to an inch thickness) and cut it with a bench scraper or the side of a knife or round cutter, then lift it, with the spatula, onto your parchment lined baking pan. When I say gently, I mean don't crush the lumps in the dough, just press it down lightly, it'll give easily and won't be overworked.

Thanks! I did use KAF and tried the water on the hands trick. Sort of helped. I think next time I will fold in a bit more flour and see how it goes. These things were pretty good despite the dough problem.

When I've had this problem, just add in some more dough - seems to be affected by how soft the butter I think. What I do with normal size scones is break the dough into chunks and roll into a ball with well floured hands, then press down to make a round in one hand, and using a butter knife, cut it into four slices like a pie, and place directly on the parchment paper. That way I don't have to deal with trying to get the sticky dough off the counter.