My popovers always stick to the pan!

I generally use a muffin tin or pyrex cups, generously greased, but it makes no difference. They stick. Restaurants that serve popovers must have a trick for extracting them intact, but what is it?

elysab
elysab February 21, 2011

I use cooking sprays. Seem to work best.

GracePiper
GracePiper February 21, 2011

Did you preheat the pan and melt a tablespoon of butter in each container? Those are the directions from my nonstick popover pan. That may work for you. I wouldn't use a spray. The popovers, like a souffle need to "climb" up the sides of the tin/cups.

Greenstuff February 21, 2011

I find that muffin pans and popover pans work for about a year and then start sticking. It's maddening! I've written to manufacturers but gotten no responses.

dahliat
dahliat February 21, 2011

Agreed with @greenstuff - I do as @GracePiper says with the butter in the pre-heated pan, but after a year or so, it started sticking more and more, and now the bottoms (but not the sides) almost always stick! V. annoying.

JimmyC
JimmyC February 21, 2011

If you're really into popovers, nothing works as well as the Nordic Ware popover pan (about $30). I got one for Christmas. They are awesome. Be sure to melt butter in the bottom of each cup. Much better than regular muffin tins!

Greenstuff February 21, 2011

JimmyC, all I can tell you is that for me, those Nordic Ware popover pans are good but for a very limited time. I've gone through several, and when they stop working, there's no visual cue. I've tried the extremes--not washing with soaps or detergents and washing very well. Something happens, and I haven't been able to figure out what it is. I'm so glad this topic has come up!

mainecook61
mainecook61 February 21, 2011

Judging by these answers, there's a mystery here! Bostonians may remember a place called Anthony's Pier 4, where the popovers were the crowning glory of the breadbasket---and this was before anyone ever conceived of a "nonstick" popover pan. How did that place ever get them out of the pan without digging and deflating??
(Note: I've got one of those "nonstick" popover pans, and the popovers stick there, too.)

Greenstuff February 21, 2011

Hi mainecook61! I had my share of Pier 4 popovers!! I've also had my share of Maine's Jordan Pond House popovers on Mount Desert Island, have you gone there?. And popovers have been a big family favorite for decades, many decades. Since this pickle came up I've been trying to count up the numbers of pans I've tried and had to throw away. Solve this one and I will be an extra-happy pickler.

mainecook61
mainecook61 February 21, 2011

Greenstuff, let's hope there's a Jordan Pond House popover person lurking around here to come to the rescue, because that person surely knows the answer. Or perhaps I should say "the secret."

Melusine
Melusine February 21, 2011

We used the regular popover pans at my family's restaurant -- I made up to 60 a day. They became extremely well seasoned, and just needed a film of oil and like cast iron, were never washed w/soap. Very few stuck, but if they did, a small, sharp knife was all that was needed to loosen them up -- since the pans didn't have a non-stick coating, that wasn't a problem. Not sure if it makes any difference -- we also let the batter rest for some time - a small batch for at least 30 minutes.

bofbox
bofbox February 23, 2011

Also try heating the pan in the oven and then grease with a little oil, then fill with the batter. The popovers come out easily.

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna February 23, 2011

I have never made popovers, just many muffins, and I generously butter the tins (including the rims) with cold butter, and it works great. Buttering then flouring (like a cake) might work?