A question about a recipe: Double Caramel Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "Double Caramel Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee" from dymnyno. It says:

"In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and then add a little of the hot cream and whisk together. Then add the egg and cream back to the pot with the hot cream.
"

• Posted by: ktchelvi
  • February 21, 2011

1 Comment

Voted the Best Reply!

betteirene
betteirene February 21, 2011

It's a technique called "tempering." If you dumped the eggs into the hot cream, you'd end up with scrambled eggs floating in the mixture because it's difficult to whisk eggs into a hot mixture before they start to cook. If you temper them by following the directions of step 6, the mixture will turn out nice and smooth and won't look curdled.

UhOhSarah
UhOhSarah September 25, 2015

Straining is called for in step 5, so wondering whether the nuts are meant to be ground finely enough to make it through the sieve, or whether they just impart their flavor and get removed. Thanks!

UhOhSarah
UhOhSarah September 25, 2015

uh thus comment showed up on the wrong question sorry, ignore me!