🔕 🔔

Can marker bleed from parchment paper into the food it's cooking on?

I used marker to outline the shape of a springform pan on parchment paper, cut it, then flipped it so the marker side faced down on the bottom of the pan. However, after I tried the pie I made, the filling now tastes...wrong. The crust is good, and when I ate some of the apples that cooked into the crust (The crust is more bread-like) it didn't have the weird taste. I'm worried that the marker cooked into the food; is that possible? Should I throw the pie out?

asked by Jordan 3 months ago

If the marker bleed into the food, then the crust and the apples should taste wrong too, but they didn't. So it's not the marker that affected the filling. Was the pie sufficiently cooked? You wrote that the crust was bread-like which seems to indicate that you didn't get a "good bake" on the pie. This in turns means that the filling didn't get totally cooked. Your filling might still be raw, hence the 'weird' flavor.

Also, did you blind bake the pie crust?

What I meant by bread-like is that the recipe's crust is actually supposed to be more bread than crust in nature. It's completely cooked - it was in the oven for 67 minutes and the filling was bubbling/boiling on the surface. Thank you though, it's a relief to know the marker didn't taint it!

And Nancy, I only opened the oven once, which was to take the pie out. Otherwise I used the oven light to check on the color of the crust (if that's what you mean by blind bake).

Jordan, blind baking is baking the crust alone (with a foil liner and some metal weights or dried beans to keep it flatish) a few minutes. Then remove from oven, remove foil & weights, add filling, complete the baking. This sequence helps cook both parts (crust & filling) just right, without either rawness, dough in essence or over baking.

"Doughiness"
Not "dough in essence"

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I always use pencil to mark parchment paper and then I try to cut just inside the mark. As long as the vast majority of the bottom is covered, and I've sprayed generously, I never have trouble with sticking, especially on a springform. As for marker, it absolutely can bleed through parchment and onto the food...but as was mentioned, it would be on the crust and it would be pretty obvious that it was marker.

If its edible, I'd keep it, even if marker baked onto your food, they're usually non-toxic....if you don't like the flavor though, I'd throw it out.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I also use a pencil and very lightly.

What were the ingredients in the filling?