Reheating lasagna with fresh lasagna sheets

Hi! I’m making lasagna completely from scratch for an office party. I’m planning on making it the day before, letting it cool, then refrigerating. Since we don’t have an oven in our office space, I’d imagine that people would be reheating the lasagna in the microwave. Would microwaving affect the quality of the lasagna sheets? And if so, would I be better off just using store bought lasagna sheets?

asked by Lea 11 months ago

IMHO you're taking a fair amount of trouble and doing something very nice for your co-workers.
The microwave may not be the ideal re-heating vehicle, but it's what you've got. It works and it's fast, so it could probably handle the volume in a reasonable time period. Even if one of you brought in a small toaster or convection oven, for a baked result with a crispier top, it might take forever for a party volume (12 servings per pan).
Last, I've sometimes used leftover fresh pasta (i.e., maltagliati) in baked dishes and the results are lovely, but mostly I used dried because the pasta taste and texture are not the star here...the combination of rich sauces and melted cheese makes the lasagna a hit.
If you have time and energy and desire to make the fresh, go for it.
But I think your results will be excellent either with fresh or with dried.

Lea
Lea

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I was beginning to realize that for this situation, making the pasta from scratch wouldn’t be worth it; especially considering the fact that all we really have is a microwave and bringing some sort of convection oven/toaster would be pretty cumbersome.

Exbruxelles

I don't think the reheating method will make much difference to the quality of the pasta, but having done this before I don't think the results are worth the effort. The lasagna is going to be great, but it would also be great with dried lasagna sheets....

Lea
Lea

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I was beginning to realize that for this situation, making the pasta from scratch wouldn’t be worth it.