🔕 🔔

What weight of dried salt cod should I purchase to yield 2 lbs of hydrated cod?

I need an answer with enough time to purchase, soak and prepare the cod for Christmas Eve. Thanks

asked by Renee Epstein 4 months ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

In Jeff Koehler's book, Spain: Recipes and Traditions from the Verdant Hills of the Basque Country, he says: "Note that the soaked weight of salt cod increases by about 20 percent (or, rarely, as high as 25 percent) from the dried weight."

Thank you for answering. I am surprising my mother by preparing some of the traditional Italian Christmas Eve seafood dishes from her childhood and some recipes for baccala that I have found list the dried cod weight and others list the weight after hydrating. The recipe for Baccala salad that I want to use lists the hydrated weight and my fish purveyor could not advise me how much of the dried fish I should buy to get the amount of hydrated the recipe requires. Thank you again and happy holidays.

What a lovely surprise for your mother! Good luck and happy holidays to you and yours.