What weight of dried salt cod should I purchase to yield 2 lbs of hydrated cod?

I need an answer with enough time to purchase, soak and prepare the cod for Christmas Eve. Thanks

asked by Renee Epstein 11 months ago

former Community Editor

In Jeff Koehler's book, Spain: Recipes and Traditions from the Verdant Hills of the Basque Country, he says: "Note that the soaked weight of salt cod increases by about 20 percent (or, rarely, as high as 25 percent) from the dried weight."

Renee Epstein

Thank you for answering. I am surprising my mother by preparing some of the traditional Italian Christmas Eve seafood dishes from her childhood and some recipes for baccala that I have found list the dried cod weight and others list the weight after hydrating. The recipe for Baccala salad that I want to use lists the hydrated weight and my fish purveyor could not advise me how much of the dried fish I should buy to get the amount of hydrated the recipe requires. Thank you again and happy holidays.

former Community Editor

What a lovely surprise for your mother! Good luck and happy holidays to you and yours.