Pumpkin Roll is sticky on outside after refrigarate

Wrapped Pumpkin roll inplastic wrap and when I brought it out, it was very sticky on the outside. What can I do?

• Posted by: Carol
  • December 19, 2017

Nancy December 20, 2017

What is the recipe? Please provide link, then we can better suggest what went wrong or how fix...

Carol
Carol December 20, 2017

Got the recipe from the following./www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32372/LIBBYS-Pumpkin-Roll

Carol
Carol December 20, 2017

Recipe from /www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32372/LIBBYS-Pumpkin-Roll

Nancy December 20, 2017

Your pumpkin roll recipe is an example of a cream-filled or jelly-roll cake (roll being the operative word).
Most, including yours, ask you to roll the cake in a towel shortly after it comes out of oven. This process (when the cake is still warmish) gives the cake its characteristic shape and still allows you to fill it (later, after cooling).
One recipe from the reliable King Arthur Flour website suggests parchment paper as an alternate wrapping. (It won't stick.)
https://www.kingarthurflour...
This time, you used plastic wrap. Not sure, but I suspect the warm cake and the plastic wrap bonded. Options:
1) If you're worried about the (small) amount of plastic now on the cake, discard.
2) If not worried, but it still looks ugly (pulls away in clumps, etc) when you unroll, there's always the classic "save" - renaming it and making it into something else. You could make it all into or portions into a trifle or parfait, using the cream cheese filling from the original, or ice cream, or custard to layer the bits. Top with something crunchy for contrast - nuts, peppermint candies, chocolates. Chill (or freeze, if ice cream) and serve.
3) If you have your heart set on a beautiful pumpkin roll cake, I'm afraid you'll have to start over.
Hope this all helps

Carol
Carol December 20, 2017

Cake did not stick to plastic wrap it is just very moist and sticky on outside after took out of frig. Do you think I could try dustingit with powdered sugar or leave it sit out awhile?

Nancy December 20, 2017

Carol - not as bad as it sounded in your original post.
I'm unclear on whether you already added the cream cheese filling before you wrapped in plastic & chilled.
If already filled, best to remove from fridge & dust with confectioner sugar shortly before you plan to serve.
If not yet filled, fill & chill again, remove, dust with sugar, serve.
Glad the cake is OK :)