I made pear mincemeat last summer, mostly pears and raisins. Made the pie for Xmas. It is good but lacks a unifying base. Ideas? Thickener & molasses?

Vodka crust is flaky and soooo good.

• Posted by: TKT
  • December 25, 2017
558aad10 591c 4312 b5f1 321eb1da2b0e  2017 12 25 19.47.15

Nancy December 26, 2017

Not sure, not having seen your pear recipe.
Suggest you avoid thickener (if by that you mean flour) as it will muddy the taste of the mincement.
You could try the molasses for more sweet taste, but it won't thicken the whole, and it's a very American taste in a very British dish (if that matters to you).
I suggest you compare your recipe to one from a reliable British source (suggestions: BBC Good Food, Jamie Oliver, Delia Smith). Then add somethings from their recipes that weren't in yours.
I'm guessing suet, brown sugar, citrus zest and/or brandy will help.

TKT
TKT December 26, 2017

We have a pear tree that had a great year, hence the pear rather than apple. Otherwise, standard recipe with sugar (not overwhelming), citrus, spices and brandy. Recipe lacked suet; I added butter at cook time (which I don't normally add to pies but thought it might work with this recipe).
I am not searching for authenticity; thanks for asking. I'm hoping not to get into a back-and-forth with folks about tradition vs reinvention. Whatever it should be called, this fruit mince pie is made without beef and suet, which does leave a flavor gap. In chemistry, this would be more of a mixture than a compound, and I am looking for a compound.
(Was thinking a modest amount of a clearjell thickener to give illusion of cohesive filling.)

Nancy December 26, 2017

TKT - I'm not pushing for purity or authenticity...but did throw the molasses comment in for info or your choice.
It was unclear to me if you wanted something to unify the taste or the texture or both.
If the texture, the clearjell thickener might yes work.
I think the suet might have given both umami and helped the flavors coalesce (sp?) into a compound.
Butter isn't as strong on either of those.
Possibly some coconut butter and/or a tiny bit salt may help with depth of flavor.
I hope you have good results and come back to tell us what you end up doing.

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 26, 2017

i would sprinkle cornstarch on the mincemeat and stir to combine. That should hold it together while cooking.

TKT
TKT December 26, 2017

Thanks! But I'm still going for more than just cohesion; there is just some unifying flavor component that is missing. The "umami" mentioned earlier is getting close.