🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Black Sea Bass with Vegetables En Papillote

B30fae87 765f 437f 9156 8e4d43d95098  2016 1003 mullet en papillote james ransom 078

I have a question about the recipe "Black Sea Bass with Vegetables En Papillote" from Food52. I am using black cod fillets (what was available) do I need to adjust the cooking time since it will be a longer flatter fillet rather than a thick chunk of sea bass?

asked by Renee Foster 4 days ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

The recipe suggests quite a range for substitutes, and I think black cod will be a good one. Given tall the vegetables in the packet, I think I’d keep the cooking time the same, or at most I’d cut it by only a minute or two. Black cod can take a little longer cooking better than some other choices.

7fa02b74 6264 467d 8036 e5efbdf3add1  20160905 121429

And my over cooked fish anxiety is gone. Thank you!

Let me just add that you probably wouldn't have been able to find black sea bass anyway. It's protected on the West Coast. Black cod (also called sable fish) is a delicious fish and an excellent substitute.