A question about a recipe: Chocolate Éclair Sponge Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Éclair Sponge Cake" from Alice Medrich. I think I know the answer, but... Can I bake it in a 8-inch round pan?

• Posted by: luks
  • August 22, 2018
46f89fa3 abc0 431b a44f 628421c565bb  hotmilksponge chocolate
Recipe question for: Chocolate Éclair Sponge Cake

1 Comment

Smaug August 22, 2018

Well- you could likely get away with it if your pan is deep enough; A 9" pan is about 1 1/4 the area of an 8", and the cake will be commensurately deeper, so will take longer to cook, may come out somewhat denser because of the added weight on it's own structure, and also may come out a bit drier because of longer cooking time. It's likely doable, but you'll have to find your own way to a certain extent- unless someone else has actually done it.

luks
luks August 22, 2018

Thanks for so detailed answer. Thanks for so detailed answer. I'll take the risk cause this cake sure worth it :)

Smaug August 22, 2018

You're welcome- of course you could also reduce the recipe (by 20%)- eggs are a little tricky, but you can wing it some; 1 egg isn't that precise a measure to begin with.