I’m making French macarons and the recipe says to ground a sift almonds. Can I use almond flour and do I still need to ground and sift it?

The almond flour won’t sift as is

asked by Margs 22 days ago

Mei Chin

No, you do not need to grind almond flour. The sifting is to get rid of clumps; I would take it for a spin in a food processor to get rid of them.

Stephanie B.

You can totally use almond flour - I have never ground my own almonds and made plenty of well-footed macarons. I would sift the almond flour though. The recipe I use calls for sifting the almond flour with sugar, and I think that helps make a smooth cookie. I would be careful food processing your almond flour, you don't want to make almond butter by mistake.

What kind of almond flour and/or sifter do you have? Your grocery store variety of almond flour should sift fine through a regular baking sifter.