A question about a recipe: What We Call Stuffing: Challah, Mushroom, and Celery

A0d9297c 5461 4aed a17a bd241e7991d2  2014 1030 stuffiing 012

I have a question about the recipe "What We Call Stuffing: Challah, Mushroom, and Celery" from MrsWheelbarrow. Is it possible to make this without an oven?

asked by Elena Mindry-King 19 days ago

Hi Elena! What kind of heat source do you have? I wouldn't recommend making it in a microwave, as it will be very dense and gummy.

Elena Mindry-King

I have a gas burning stove! Just no oven :(

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Wow. Never actually thought about that. Here’s the thing. This stuffing is stirred together with all precooked ingredients and no egg, so yes, you could eat it that way, but what about the crispy parts? The very best parts, in my experience! To get that beautiful crisp, why not cook it in a cast iron skillet!! Now, if you don’t have a stove? Put that skillet in the grill. #myworkhereisdone

Great suggestions, Cathy. Never would have thought of the grill. Happy Thanksgiving! xo

Elena Mindry-King

Hi Merrill and MrsWheelbarrow,
Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately I'm currently living at a boarding school I teach at in France. My only cooking heat sources are the gas burners and my microwave. Lucky to be here in such a wonderful part of the world, unlucky in heat sources 😅