Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

How can I make a chicken pie vegan/vegetarian friendly but just as delish and homey?

I watched Oprah today and she was raving about the awesomeness of the chicken pie again. I'm convinced I need to try one but how can I make it amazing without the chicken? I need you thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

asked by Erin Paup over 5 years ago

Use lots of mushrooms (and a variety of them), lots of roasted vegetables (I'd use carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, potatoes, and perhaps a small kohlrabi), the richest vegetable stock you can make (made with roasted vegetables, including roasted onions), and a good splash of Madeira while making the sauce. Season with a good organic tamari. ;o)

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you want a protein component to replace the chicken, try tempeh. Cut it into cubes, brown in oil, then add to the other ingredients.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Vegetarian or vegan? I agree with Antonia as well. I have a vegetarian version but the crust has butter and I make the sauce with butter and cream. For vegetarian I use potatoes, carrots, green beans, asparagus, white corn, mushrooms and onion. I par-boil the potatoes (cut in cubes), blanch (and cool in an ice bath) the green beans, carrots and asparagus and saute the onion and mushrooms with a healthy dose thyme and rosemary (I would also agree adding some madeira or brandy wouldn't hurt). Once all of that is done I heat some butter add in some flour (about 2 tbsps) and then add in (warm) veggie stock, let it cook down and add in the cream, whisking all the time! All of this is then mixed with the veggies. I pre-bake the bottom crust (just a little) add the filling and the pastry lid. I realize this isn't very specific, but the rosemary is key to a tasty pie. I actually have recorded (in writing) a salmon pot pie - so if pescatarian is OK and you would like that recipe let me know I can send that to you.

9ac3a641 8957 4d8a b05c d028947d4131  stonecutting 32

Everyone above has great ideas for veggies! The one thing I'll add is that you can use gardein brand "chicken" if you feel the need to have chicken-like texture and flavor in addition to the vegetables and also want to boost the protein content.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

The most chicken-like meat substitute is seitan. I used it in this Greek rice pie I made for the holidays. Very delish.

http://verdantkitchen.wordpress...

If you are subbing seitan for chicken in a recipe, don't do the do-ahead cooking like you would with the chicken. Just mix the raw seitan into whatever you are using to fill the pie (gravy, veggies, etc) and bake. That will be plenty of cooking for it. If you overcook seitan it has the texture of rubber. But cooked properly it is the same consistency as chicken.

I don't eat a whole lot of seitan or tofu, I try to stick to vegetable, legume and whole grain based entrees, but it is such a great "gateway drug" for non-vegans, so I love to use it when I cook for non-vegans or people who are new to it. Total crowd pleaser.

993f5c5f da0a 4c91 ba38 41ed29d8af6b  stringio

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I have never tried seitan, tempeh, or any of the gardein products. I am not a vegetarian or a vegan but I eat more veggies, fruits, grains than I do meat, for good health. I try to make as many recipes as I can without meat and this is one that I thought would be perfect to make vegetarian. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks again. :)