A question about a recipe: One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf

95e0cbd6 925c 4ae8 8bf4 5a1217c9e4ef  food52 04 17 12 6173

I have a question about the recipe "One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf" from deensiebat.

My quinoa was mushy and it stuck together when I tried to fluff it. Boo!

asked by umeume over 7 years ago

Hmmm.....that stinks! I've made this before with good results. It has the same proportion water to quinoa that the product I have uses for cooking plain quinoa. Though, mine has you cook the quinoa uncovered. Maybe try reducing the water or cooking the quinoa w/o a cover (until you add the kale.)

phyllis

Hmm, I cooked this last night and mine wasn't mushy either. My quinoa called for 1 2-1 ratio (2 cups liquid/1 cup quinoa). Check your box/bag and see what the ratio is.

umeume

It says 2:1 ratio too. I wonder if the type of pot makes a difference? Are you using a heavy pot like le creuset/other cast iron? Or just a normal saucepan?

I used a regular saucepan.

umeume

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. SKK: I shall surely try your method as I love quinoa and am sad I can never achieve the perfectly fluffy effect. Now I think I will be able to!

deensiebat

Sorry to hear about the mush! Usually this template is pretty fool-proof for me, although every lot of dried grain can vary. You can experiment cutting down the water slightly.

healthierkitchen

With this recipe I follow deensiebat's instructions and it's been delicious each time, but if I'm making quinoa on it's own or to add to another recipe, I cook it more like pasta - use plenty of water or stock and then as soon as the sperm shows, drain it into a fine mesh colander. It stays nice and firm that way. I do rinse first and I'm intrigued by toasting it first. I'll try that next time.

SaltyPaws

Hi,
I found that for some odd reason the 2:1 ratio doesn't work for me. I do 2 cups quinoa to 3 2/3 c water, bring to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes then after that amt of time I cool my quinoa by dumping it on a rimmed cookie sheet.

tota

Can any of you tell me how you rinse the quinoa without losing half through the sieve? I am careful but always lose a lot of it....and since I buy it in the bulk bins, I really do want to rinse it well beforehand. thanks

@tota - I have a very, very fine sieve. You can also use cheesecloth.