Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Salt curing salmon and it's a little raw still.

Hi! I am salt curing salmon. Following two recipes from Cured (Wildsmith) and Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It (Solomon). I heavily salted said salmon and wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap. It sat for three days in the frig, per the recipes. So I unwrapped it and rinsed it and it is still mostly raw. Does any one have any experience with curing? I was thinking that I would just salt it again and let it sit for a day or two longer. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

asked by Allingwelsh over 5 years ago
7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

The texture of cured salmon is not really like that of cooked salmon, it is still fairly tacky, but with less water content (firmer) than ucured salmon.
When I've made gravalax the salmon has been encased in 2 T salt and 2 T sugar per pound, plus seasonings, which is more of an encrusting than heavily salting. It is usually done in about two days in the refrigerator.
Also, it's safest to use commercially frozen salmon for this--freezing for over seven days kills the parasites that could be in the fish.

8c98c3fd a431 4ea2 97e4 20e3da713ce7  eda takoyaki cooking

i made gravlax, but did not heavily salt it. used a mixture of salt and sugar, spices and fennel. evenly layer the bottom of the container--place the fish skin side down and lightly cover the top with the preserving mixture. the fish should release a bit of liquid and feel firm, not squishy. I left a 1 pound piece in the fridge for about 2 days before it was ready. hope that helps...

775d61d0 1f12 4975 a6cd ac7accf4624e  gravlax small

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

I have cured and smoked salmon in my former years. I only cured the salmon for 24 hours, but finished the drying through the smoking process. I found anything over 24 hours made the fish too salty. If you are curing only, I feel that you still need to air dry the product to firm up the fish. I have never made gravalax, but a Danish chef friend of mine also cured his for only 24 hours and it was a fantastic product.

Thanks! These answers do help. Gravlax tastes wonderful.