Any suggestions for how to replace banana leaves in a recipe? This is a Mexican style dish that calls for the meat (lamb shank) to be rubbed in a spice paste, then wrapped in banana leaves and foil and then baked. I now live in Germany, and don't have access to banana leaves...!

asked by eternalgradstudent about 8 years ago

Savorykitchen

You might try a florist and see if you can get "ti leaves" - you can use them the same as banana leaves (they are a little smaller, so you might need more).

If you can't find anything big enough to wrap in make a layer of grape leaves (fresh or well-rinsed canne dones), wrap in them and then in foil per the recipe.

You probably don't have corn husks either, but parchment would probably work.

What about fig leaves? I've seen a few savory recipes using fig leaves as a wrap.