Not exactly what you mean by pork bones. You mean buy ribs and trim the meat to the bones? Will the butcher actually sell me just bones?

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Sunday Pork Ragu" from cookinginvictoria. It says:

"Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with sides with aluminum foil. Place a baking rack over the foil and place the ribs on the rack. There should be a little space between each rib. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place baking pan in oven and roast for 30-40 minutes (the bigger pieces you may have to turn halfway through) until nicely browned and caramelized. Remove pan from oven and with tongs take each rib off the rack. Place on a paper-towel lined plate to further drain."

45340c3f d16d 443e 892d 5c6bfea2cc9d  050311f 409
Recipe question for: Sunday Pork Ragu

sdebrango May 11, 2011

I got pork stew meat bone in. Worked perfectly. There is still some meat and fat on the bones and they roasted so nicely in the oven.

AntoniaJames May 11, 2011

My butcher sells bones . . . you have to ask for them. They keep them in the back, for people like me. The ones I get are really meaty; I use them for making my own scrapple. Make sure to ask the butcher to cut them into pieces that are no more than 3-4 inches long. You'll get more flavor from cut pieces.;o)

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria May 11, 2011

Thanks for your question. Some -- not all -- butchers will sell just bones, but you usually need to ask for them in advance. If you buy pork ribs on a rack, I usually cut them into individual ribs. Pork soup bones are also good as are side bones. And neck bones are worth seeking out for this recipe. They make a superior ragu!

pierino May 11, 2011

Indeed do just ask. Neck bones are good too. And cheap.

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria May 11, 2011

Agree too with Antonia that it's a good idea to get the butcher to cut the bones if they are too long. They are much easier to cook and eat if they are on the small side!

pierino May 11, 2011

And speaking of neck bones, I had superb pork neck rlllettes at Purple Pig in Chicago

ibbeachnana
ibbeachnana May 11, 2011

I save every pork bone from the butts and such and add neck bones for my sauce. Bone in country ribs have a lot of fat, so consider trimming them and saving the bones.

Some of the really sad meat skimpy beef short ribs and their bones are excellent for the sauce as well.