A question about a recipe: Sunday Pork Ragu

45340c3f d16d 443e 892d 5c6bfea2cc9d  050311f 409

Is this 3/4 lb of pork bones, or 3-to-4 lb pork bones? The former seems low, and the latter seems high.

asked by mscheevel about 7 years ago

Sarah Shatz

Three-quarters of a pound. A little pork bone goes a long way. Hope you like the recipe!

cookinginvictoria

Yes, 3/4 pounds of small pork bones (about 8-10 bones) is how the recipe should read. You want just enough so that they will impart their unique flavor to the sauce, but adding too many bones will make the sausage too crowded in the pan. Also, while the pork in this ragu is incredibly yummy, it's not the main event. This dish is really all about the tomato sauce, and you want it to have enough room to simmer without being overwhelmed by the other ingredients. Hope that all makes sense!

cookinginvictoria

Thank you, Sarah, for spelling out the measurement. That makes it much clearer. Also, in my answer, I should have said 3/4 pound, not pounds. Sorry for the typo.

mscheevel

Thanks for the help, everybody! I picked up some bones from the butcher this morning, and I'm looking forward to giving this a try tomorrow.

cookinginvictoria

Glad to hear that you are going to make the ragu! After you have tried it, do let me know what you think..