A question about a recipe: Sunday Pork Ragu. Do you measure the parsley before or after chopping? Thank you. ;o)

45340c3f d16d 443e 892d 5c6bfea2cc9d  050311f 409

I have a question about the recipe "Sunday Pork Ragu" from cookinginvictoria.

asked almost 7 years ago

Lexmccall

It is much easier (in my experience) to measure any fresh herbs before chopping. 1 Tbsp of packed parsley leaves will turn into 1 Tbsp of chopped parsley.

I chop then measure simply because its easier to measure accurately.I find it difficult to pack unchopped herbs into a measuring spoon or cup.

leslim

The way the recipe reads, you measure then chop. If it read "1/2 cup chopped parsley" that would mean you need to chop and then measure.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I'm with sdebrango...I always chop first and try to keep it clear in any recipe that I post.

I'll just add that I never measure herbs like parsley. I just chop and slam it in there. I mean how far wrong can you go?

pierino, you're right. The way I chop, half a cup of chopped is a lot more than 1/2 cup of flat leaf parsley before chopping. But then, for something like this, you're right. You can never have too much parsley in a sauce. And you'd be pleased to know that I added a fistful of chopped Chinese celery leaves . . . the nice dark ones with that good, deep celery flavor. Couldn't help myself. Had to add some pounded fennel seed, too, because Ratto's doesn't do their Italian sausage justice in this regard. Thanks, everyone!! ;o)