Are fava beans the same as lima beans?

I do not like the taste of lima beans at all. So I'm wondering if I should steer clear of fava beans, too.

asked by lovesitc over 7 years ago

Fava beans are certainly related to limas, but they are not at all mealy. However, I'm guessing you would probably prefer a different vegetable. They will definitely remind you of limas.

lovesitc

It is that mealy texture that really turns me off to limas . . . .

vvvanessa

favas are definitely much firmer than lima beans. they're kind of green tasting, and i love them brightened up with lemon juice and tossed with pasta. i say go for it!

I'm guessing that people who dislike lima beans have only experienced the frozen kind. Fava beans at this time of year can be fantastic, but they are a lot of work; as in shell, blanche and peel. But great with a bacony flavor like pancetta or guanciale or simply dressed with oil and citrus.

innoabrd

Fava are totally different. If you can get young enough beans you really don't need to peel them. Here's what I do with them:

Howard

They are most definitely not the same.

The Lima Bean originated in South America, believed Guatemala, and the Family name is: Phaseolus lunatus.

The Broad Bean or Fava Bean originated in Northern Africa, it's family name is: Vicia faba.
Both Lima and Fava Beans are Legumes and the Genus is Fabaceae. They do not taste the same.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Fava beans are delicious! They are much harder to prepare than lima beans, since you have to peel them, but well worth it. I think the fresh favas taste creamy and green. I hate frozen limas but love fresh limas.

Howard

You only need to remove the pod of fava beans as with almost any bean. You do not need to remove the skin on the bean itself as this is good fiber and not tough and unpleasant to eat.