francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

In the past, we've bought it at Kalustyan's and you should be able to order it online here: http://www.kalustyans.com/.

cookease

thanks for the info...Considering I have never used it...and only see the one recipe which calls for it, is there a substitute?????/

Zingerman's also sells it on-line but I also buy it at Surfas in Culver City. I use it mainly with pork, it never would have occurred to me to use in a dessert.

Kari Johnson
Kari Johnson

Kari is the manager of Whisk, a kitchenware store in Brooklyn.

The best fennel pollen, for the money, that i've found was at a small spice store in Westfield, NJ. Luckily, they have a webstore!

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/spices/fennpol.html

Don't think there is a substitute for fennel pollen. It is unique "taking the fennel seed, sweetening it and then intensifying it a hundred times" to quote the spicehouse website.
It goes a long way. Saveur magazine says you can use it on chicken and sea food, and pierino says he uses it on pork. It is a spice worth having around.

I am wrong there is a replacement in this recipe - just read it Amanda and Merrill said
"If you can't get fennel pollen, don't sweat it -- just add ground anise seed or fennel seed in the same proportion. - A&M"

cookease

Thanks so much...appreciate the update...b

mtrelaun

If you're still looking for fennel pollen, we have it in the Shop: http://bit.ly/lvLEJk