A question about a recipe: Himalayan Blackberry Pie

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Himalayan Blackberry Pie" from lapadia. It says:

"In a large bowl; add the berries, honey, lemon or lime juice and tapioca. Taste test before adding optional superfine sugar. Stir the mixture and let sit for 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to blend."

Is tapioca interchangeable with corn starch?

• Posted by: JJGood
  • June 6, 2011
A8cec5a2 9e05 406e 9bca e9fd462711fb  092010f52 me 0125
Recipe question for: Himalayan Blackberry Pie

vvvanessa
vvvanessa June 6, 2011

if i were using cornstarch instead of instant tapioca, i would probably use just 1 or 2 tablespoons.

Ophelia
Ophelia June 6, 2011

Corn starch doesn't do terribly well as a thickener in liquids that are acidic, which means that it probably isn't the best choice for huckleberry pie.

boulangere June 6, 2011

Agree with Ophelia. Unfortunately, this is probably an instance when a trip to the store (or a visit to a neighbor, cup in hand) is warranted. Too, tapioca lends that wonderful consistency and feel on your tongue that cornstarch can't really match.

hardlikearmour June 6, 2011

Use half as much cornstarch.

hardlikearmour June 6, 2011

Another idea is to use 1.5 T cornstarch and grate up an apple to throw in for some pectin to help thicken. Fruit pies thickened with tapioca do tend to taste better than ones thickened with cornstarch, so going to the store may be warranted.

lapadia
lapadia June 6, 2011

Hi JJGood!

2 tbls. Instant tapioca = 1 tbl cornstarch
Recipe calls for 3 tbls. instant tapioca which would = 1-1/2 tbls cornstarch

http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

I would dilute the cornstarch with the lemon or lime juice before adding to the remaining step 3 ingredients. Note: one of the reasons (not stated in the recipe) for the ingredients to sit for about 15 minutes is because it helps break up the little tapioca pearls, as well as allowing the flavors to blend – so you would probably not need to let it sit all that long, but it won’t hurt.

PS - I agree with boulangere re: the consistency and mouth feel that cornstarch can't really match the tapioca. Let me know how it comes out!

lapadia
lapadia June 6, 2011

OOPS. I forgot to thank you all for jumping in ....."Thanks all!"