🔕 🔔

Kolbi Korean short ribs. How long to grill?

I had to use normal 2-3 inch style short ribs and butterflied them. They've been marinating for about 3 hours. In Soy, Sugar, Plum, Sesame oil, Ginger, Garlic, Sake and Green onions, red pepper flakes. Whisked in a food processor.

The delima is how long and how hot to grill. As most recipes call for the flanken style cuts. These are thinly butterflied with bone attached.
Indirect heat and move to high heat to crisp? I'm afraid the high sugar marinade will burn before the beef is done and the bone--which is still attached has time to reach safe cooking levels.

asked about 6 years ago
39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Sam, I'm so sorry this question went unanswered! How did you tackle the situation -- and how did they turn out?

The great thing about kalbi is that the long marination tenderizes the meat and makes for pretty forgiving cooking times.

By the way, have you seen edamame2003's kalbi recipe? It's a good one. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I had to guess at it...some where slightly overcooked due to too high heat and uneven thickness. But they cooked much faster than I thought. About 10 min...a couple of mins on high part of the grill then moved to a lower temp. Next time, I'll try to get flanken cuts instead of butterflying them...and do a longer marinade.