🔕 🔔

Where do you buy Preserved Lemon?

I'd like to make the Braised Moroccan Chicken and Olives for dinner tonight, but the Preserved Lemons needed for this dish could be a problem. The recipe on this site for the Preserved Lemons takes about 2 weeks - so I need to either buy it or substitute. I just called my local WF, and they don't think they carry it. Any ideas?

TIA,

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago
81339ce6 4cd9 4092 94f0 6397715c5ce5  favicon2a

I've seen them at "my" Whole Foods (Cupertino, CA) in the olive bar section. Though I haven't tried this recipe, Mark Bittman has a recipe for quick-preserved lemons that might do the trick: http://markbittman.com.... Good luck!

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Do you have any Middle Eastern markets near you? They would carry it. Alternatively, you can use the peel of a lemon. It won't have the same effect but will at least add some nice citrus aroma.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Preserved lemons are pretty easy to make., but unless you're going for the quick cure, like the Bittman recipe, they usually take a some time. Paula Wolfert has a recipe in her book, Couscous and Other Good Foods from Morocco. It's a great book, worth having if you're going to make more Moroccan food. But the recipe is also on Epicurious at http://www.epicurious.com...

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I've done the Bittman version, and they come out really nicely in a short time period. My husband prefers them to traditional preserved lemons.