If a dessert is too sweet can I substitute a portion of the required sweetened condensed milk for evaporated milk w/o losing texture

I understand they are two different things b/c of sugar content, but that's what I want to reduce

• Posted by: edanz
  • June 22, 2011

Panfusine
Panfusine June 22, 2011

it should work if the sugar level is all that you're looking to replace. I find condensed milk has a caramelish flavor that is lacking in evaporated milk.

boulangere June 22, 2011

May I ask what you're making? That might affect the answer.

edanz
edanz June 22, 2011

I'm making a key lime pie that uses mostly condensed milk, a little sourcream, and the juice of key limes, it's a bit sweet w/ two cans of condensed milk and I was hoping to take a little of the sugar out of it.

boulangere June 22, 2011

Oooh, I'm with you! That seems way too much. Follow your instinct and reduce it to one. See what the consistency is like, then perhaps add a bit more sour cream. I wouldn't add any evaporated milk, as that might thin it out too much. Sounds heavenly!

edanz
edanz June 22, 2011

Thanks you two for the suggestions.... I can't wait to try this out!! I'm also considering maybe substituting some cream cheese, omitting the sour cream and one can of the milk.

boulangere June 22, 2011

Mmmm. Sounds good!

wssmom
wssmom June 22, 2011

I wouldn't put in cream cheese but I might increase the lime juice proportionately.