How much of the fennel bulb is edible? How do you prep the bulb for soup?

asked by barbie519 almost 8 years ago

nutcakes

The stalks and tops are a good addition when making vegetable stock for soup.

marketmaster

You're right, nutcakes. I missed that one.

nutcakes

Yes marketmaster, but otherwise that was quite the comprehensive answer and I look forward to trying your pasta, do you get the fennel-onion mix caramelized a little? or a lot?

I use the whole bulb with the exception of the stem end. I'm lavish with fennel when it comes to pork---I even use fennel pollen which is one of my secret weapons. I hate it when supermarkets remove the fronds and toss them before they go out into the bins. I always unleash the power of fennel in my "porchetta" as I consider it an essential flavor.

marketmaster

I do try to caramelize the fennel and onion. How much usually depends on how much time I have. It is definitely a weeknight dish.