I want to fry. No, I NEED to fry. What I don't need is anything hydrogenated. Suggestions?

I was thinking Lard but the stuff at my store has been H-bombed (hydrogenated). I admit I have yet to check Whole Foods. Is that something that I can just get from a butcher? If so, do I have to do anything to it before I can use it? Thanks in advance or any guidance!

• Posted by: chl0525
  • June 27, 2011

SKK June 27, 2011

A couple of weeks ago there was another question about lard, and it was highly educational. http://www.food52.com/foodpickle... Please read boulangere and chefjune's responses. You can actually render your own lard, as you will find out. Also included is a reference about the health benefits of lard.

chl0525
chl0525 June 27, 2011

Thanks for the link. I knew I had read something somewhere... :)

sdebrango June 27, 2011

Thank you SKK, I was looking for that one I got my lard am working now on testing the recipe and wanted to read what was said about working with lard. Perfect timing!!

SKK June 27, 2011

You are both most welcome! I love foodpickle

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Spectrum Organic makes a fantastic non hydrogenated shortening that is amazing. Great for baking and frying. Killer fried chicken fingers are my favorite for a fry- up night. Don't forget to make some fried pickles too!

Sam1148 June 27, 2011

Duck fat.
It makes fantastic fries. It can be difficult to find in quantities.
http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/foiegrasmarket.html

This is a nice source that does mail order. Shipping is a bit pricey but you can boost the order up with some duck leg confit and other items without adding to the base shipping cost.

Just IMHO---I disagree with their storage time on the duck fat. When kept in the 'fridge. Mine was good for months. I also used another storage jar to re-use the fat...adding a few spoon fulls of the 'fresh' fat to fill it out. I thought it got better with use and time.