IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

I want to fry. No, I NEED to fry. What I don't need is anything hydrogenated. Suggestions?

I was thinking Lard but the stuff at my store has been H-bombed (hydrogenated). I admit I have yet to check Whole Foods. Is that something that I can just get from a butcher? If so, do I have to do anything to it before I can use it? Thanks in advance or any guidance!

asked by chl0525 over 5 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

A couple of weeks ago there was another question about lard, and it was highly educational. http://www.food52.com/foodpickle... Please read boulangere and chefjune's responses. You can actually render your own lard, as you will find out. Also included is a reference about the health benefits of lard.

97a8ddcf b448 426a 9bd8 eed4b204cdb5  hussie icons chl

Thanks for the link. I knew I had read something somewhere... :)

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Thank you SKK, I was looking for that one I got my lard am working now on testing the recipe and wanted to read what was said about working with lard. Perfect timing!!

You are both most welcome! I love foodpickle

Wholefoods user icon

Spectrum Organic makes a fantastic non hydrogenated shortening that is amazing. Great for baking and frying. Killer fried chicken fingers are my favorite for a fry- up night. Don't forget to make some fried pickles too!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Duck fat.
It makes fantastic fries. It can be difficult to find in quantities.
http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras...

This is a nice source that does mail order. Shipping is a bit pricey but you can boost the order up with some duck leg confit and other items without adding to the base shipping cost.

Just IMHO---I disagree with their storage time on the duck fat. When kept in the 'fridge. Mine was good for months. I also used another storage jar to re-use the fat...adding a few spoon fulls of the 'fresh' fat to fill it out. I thought it got better with use and time.