🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Mint Iced Tea -- Do you leave the tea (or bags) to steep in the mixture as it cools? Doesn't become bitter?

17a63abc 97e2 4f7c 9438 b0e27e1e3c32  food52 07 05 11 93

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Mint Iced Tea" from merrill. It says:

"Boil a kettle of water, and put the tea and the mint into a large, heatproof pot or pitcher. Pour a quart of boiling water into the pot, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Carefully taste a little and add more sugar if you like. Set the tea aside to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until cold."

asked by cookbookchick about 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Leaving the tea bags in will increase the amount of tannin you get, which is the part that kinda makes the inside of your mouth feel rough (if that makes sense.) It is a bit bitter, but I find it refreshing in an iced tea drink. I think it's a personal preference. If you are worried about it you could remove the tea bags after 4 or 5 minutes (like with hot tea.)

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Yes, what Hardlikearmour said!

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Thanks! Iced tea is one of those things that I, like you, remember fondly from my childhood. As I recall, my mother tossed Lipton's tea bags into a pot of water and boiled them. Maybe she added a little sugar to the pot. The tea was always delicious and clear, unlike my bitter, cloudy efforts. Thus the Perfect Glass of Iced Tea has become my madeleine -- perfection remembered and always just out of my reach!