A question about a recipe: Mint Iced Tea -- Do you leave the tea (or bags) to steep in the mixture as it cools? Doesn't become bitter?

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Mint Iced Tea" from merrill. It says:

"Boil a kettle of water, and put the tea and the mint into a large, heatproof pot or pitcher. Pour a quart of boiling water into the pot, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Carefully taste a little and add more sugar if you like. Set the tea aside to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until cold."

17a63abc 97e2 4f7c 9438 b0e27e1e3c32  food52 07 05 11 93
Recipe question for: Mint Iced Tea

hardlikearmour July 17, 2011

Leaving the tea bags in will increase the amount of tannin you get, which is the part that kinda makes the inside of your mouth feel rough (if that makes sense.) It is a bit bitter, but I find it refreshing in an iced tea drink. I think it's a personal preference. If you are worried about it you could remove the tea bags after 4 or 5 minutes (like with hot tea.)

Merrill Stubbs July 17, 2011

Yes, what Hardlikearmour said!

cookbookchick
cookbookchick July 18, 2011

Thanks! Iced tea is one of those things that I, like you, remember fondly from my childhood. As I recall, my mother tossed Lipton's tea bags into a pot of water and boiled them. Maybe she added a little sugar to the pot. The tea was always delicious and clear, unlike my bitter, cloudy efforts. Thus the Perfect Glass of Iced Tea has become my madeleine -- perfection remembered and always just out of my reach!