🔕 🔔

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

I would think it would be how refined the sorghum sugar is. Molasses is a by-product of sugar processing. I am curious too on the taste.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

https://attra.ncat.org...
Here's more information than you may need. Basically, sorghum syrup is evaporated from the juice pressed from sweet sorghum, a grain. Sorghum molasses combines this syrup with molasses processed from sugar cane -- a byproduct of sugar refining.
I had it years ago, and as I remember it was along the lines of the Sugar Daddy taste. If you want to move away from cane products, I think that malted grain syrups would be closer in taste (rice malt, barley malt, corn malt, and mixtures of these). It was a traditional sweetener in parts of the South, as molasses was in New England.

D6706402 eb96 499d a671 b2e90db25df9  bike2

I think the Sugar Daddy taste is a great way to describe this. There are so many varieties of molasses that have unique regional ties. Lately I have been playing with some that are mideastern. You can find such completely different molasses from dates or pomegranate or mulberry (my favorite). I also have barley malt which I bought to test rolls this past year that is molasses-like. Having been raised with only black strap molasses, there is a whole world of its own out there.

There seems to be an issue about the word molasses. My dictionary has 1) the syrup remaining from cane sugar refining (paraphrased), and 2) (their words) a syrup made from boiling down sweet vegetable or fruit juice (citrus~).
You can see why we get a little confusion on the question. I keep a dictionary by the computer in case there is a hair to split...

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

The recipe itself is confusing - it's an older recipe. It has sorghum in the title, but the ingredient is listed as molasses. So I am confused too!

Since the sorghum product is called molasses, I'd say get it if you can, or sub what you have. Not blackstrap (which I love) -- something in the middle would be closer, or a grain malt syrup.

8853b3c6 b669 48fc 9779 62260aafeab1  screen shot 2011 01 25 at 1 15 11 pm
Dan Soloway

Dan is the founder of Kitchen Options

I have never heard of sorghum molasses, but I have seen sorghum syrup in the Union Square Market in Manhattan before from Tony Van Glad of Blenheim Hill located in Stamford, NY. Get a hold of some and see for yourself. 'Molasses' could just be a moniker like 'tapenade' or 'caviar'. Maybe all you need is the syrup. Sorry I couldn't shed more light on this one.