Sorghum Molasses

What makes it different from other molasses'?
What does it taste like?
Is there an ideal substitute if I can't find it?

I was given recipe "inspiration" involving sorghum molasses and I'm clueless, so I thought I'd come to the most informative food site I know!

usuba dashi
usuba dashi July 18, 2011

I would think it would be how refined the sorghum sugar is. Molasses is a by-product of sugar processing. I am curious too on the taste.

susan g July 18, 2011
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/viewhtml.php?id=274
Here's more information than you may need. Basically, sorghum syrup is evaporated from the juice pressed from sweet sorghum, a grain. Sorghum molasses combines this syrup with molasses processed from sugar cane -- a byproduct of sugar refining.
I had it years ago, and as I remember it was along the lines of the Sugar Daddy taste. If you want to move away from cane products, I think that malted grain syrups would be closer in taste (rice malt, barley malt, corn malt, and mixtures of these). It was a traditional sweetener in parts of the South, as molasses was in New England.
Sagegreen
Sagegreen July 19, 2011

I think the Sugar Daddy taste is a great way to describe this. There are so many varieties of molasses that have unique regional ties. Lately I have been playing with some that are mideastern. You can find such completely different molasses from dates or pomegranate or mulberry (my favorite). I also have barley malt which I bought to test rolls this past year that is molasses-like. Having been raised with only black strap molasses, there is a whole world of its own out there.

susan g July 19, 2011

There seems to be an issue about the word molasses. My dictionary has 1) the syrup remaining from cane sugar refining (paraphrased), and 2) (their words) a syrup made from boiling down sweet vegetable or fruit juice (citrus~).
You can see why we get a little confusion on the question. I keep a dictionary by the computer in case there is a hair to split...

nomnivorous
nomnivorous July 19, 2011

The recipe itself is confusing - it's an older recipe. It has sorghum in the title, but the ingredient is listed as molasses. So I am confused too!

susan g July 19, 2011

Since the sorghum product is called molasses, I'd say get it if you can, or sub what you have. Not blackstrap (which I love) -- something in the middle would be closer, or a grain malt syrup.

Dan Soloway
Dan Soloway July 19, 2011

I have never heard of sorghum molasses, but I have seen sorghum syrup in the Union Square Market in Manhattan before from Tony Van Glad of Blenheim Hill located in Stamford, NY. Get a hold of some and see for yourself. 'Molasses' could just be a moniker like 'tapenade' or 'caviar'. Maybe all you need is the syrup. Sorry I couldn't shed more light on this one.