Semolina = same thing as semolina flour?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 7 years ago

Yes, (although technically it should be semolino) ground flour from hard durham type wheat.

sarabclever

Isn't semolina cream of wheat? I have wondered about this too because I've seen recipes for semolina cake, and they have you cook "the grains" first before adding it to the rest of the batter--and I couldn't imagine doing that with semolina flour. I've never actually chased down the answer and whether I was supposing right so this is a good question.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

hmmm, i wonder about the cream of wheat... Cream of wheat is also called farina. maybe more of a farro base? but for pasta and pizza dough the semilino is my pick-o.

Chef Michael, "farina" is simply the Italian word for "flour" which can describe any type of flour. Farro would be spelt or emmer---triticum whatever in Latin...

bootlegga

Yes