🔕 🔔

Using turbinado or demerara sugar as a substitute for granulated sugar in baked goods

I've been on a turbinado kick lately, especially after using it in several recipes off this site (e.g., Merrill's strawberry-rhubarb compote and Amanda's raspberry swamp pie). I like the idea of swapping granulated sugar with turbinado in certain baked goods for more flavor. Can you make a one to one substitution? Do you need to grind it first to make the crystals smaller?

asked by EmilyC about 6 years ago

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

Should've done my foodpickle research first: turns out AJ asked a similar question a year ago and Amanda answered it: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

It's going to have a bit of molasses in it, though certainly less than true brown sugar, so when you bake with it, maybe add a pinch of baking soda to balance the acid. As for the size of the crystals, I wouldn't worry about it.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you want to make something where butter and sugar are creamed, the large size of the crystals gives a result which isn't the intended one! I've done it, and while it didn't ruin the outcome, it wasn't a light and fluffy mass.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Apologies for the spam -- we're working to fix it now.