What can I use in my smoothies besides yogurt? I'm trying to avoid dairy.

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 7 years ago

leftoverquiche

You can use juices, soy milk, almond milk, etc. Then use fruit like banana for thickener. There are also soy based yogurts. Enjoy!

Vicki Jeffries

Peanut butter works great to thicken also. I use it in just about all my smoothies. I loveeeeeee PB!!! Lol :P

Phillip

Too many choices to list them all but I like Soy Milk personally.
Take a look at Foodily: http://www.foodily.com...

Suburbanitis

O'Soy makes a great soy yogurt; my son eats a ton of it since he has a dairy allergies. I make him smoothies with it all the time.

Almond milk is also excellent and pairs really well with banana as a thickener. Avocado is another creamy addition that sneaks well into smoothies!

valerie_erickson

Coconut milk is excellent.

ellenl

Water and fruit works fine.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Soaked cashews will make your smoothie creamy with no milk needed. This is also a great trick for making creamy salad dressings from scratch in your blender.

If you are into yogurt, you can try to find So Delicious coconut milk yogurt. It is delicious. Or, if you are more DIY, you can make coconut yogurt yourself with kefir starter and coconut milk. It is surprisingly easy. You just warm up the milk a little, add the packet (its like yeast) and leave it unattended overnight.

Jaye

Thanks for that Anita! I was looking for a substitute for Greek yogurt in edamame hummus. Soaked cashews will work perfectly!

Jaye, I'd love to see the recipe for that edamame hummus . . . or simple instructions / ratios, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks so much. ;o)

Sagegreen

I echo the almond milk route.

Vicki Jeffries

I mostly use milk or almond milk in my smoothies but found that Cran Apple or Cran Pomegranate is really tasty too :)

Jona @AssortedBites

Banana/Mango works well with any liquid to give the smoothie creaminess, then coconut milk is a favorite of mine, for the flavor and the richness. I tend to use cashews ( not even soaked) or oats as well, chia seeds, avocado, frozen pineapple, frozen melon. All for now :)

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Tofu works really well in smoothies if you're trying to avoid dairy. We use it when we have leftover bits that didn't get used for something else.

I use a yellow pea protein in my smoothies and fruit juices often mixed with ice water. And a fruit - most often cherries.