A question about Market Style Porchetta: I made and we ate half of this, testing a Cuban sandwich roll recipe I recently developed.

Any ideas on how to use the rest of this porchetta for a summer dinner meal (not in sandwiches)? It's one of the best pork shoulder recipes I've ever used, by the way. Such a classic and simply perfect, in every way. Thanks, PicklePals!! ;o) P.S. The roll recipe will be posted soon.

53a6228a f4e3 4171 9ea9 eeb169e3213c  porchetta roma 001
Recipe question for: Market Style Porchetta

davidpdx
davidpdx August 8, 2011

Couple of thoughts: Could be shredded as the protein base of a pasta dish. Serve over mashed/riced potatoes. An old-fashioned layered casserole with pasta and breadcrumbs. Substitute for beef/lamb in a moussaka. Stuffed in an eggplant.

amysarah August 8, 2011

Vitello Tonnato is one of my very favorite summer dishes - I've made it many times with leftover roast pork loin instead of the traditional poached veal roast. Sometimes I intentionally use pork, just because I'm partial to pig and I can.

I don't see why you couldn't use cold, thinly sliced porchetta, skin and fat trimmed, as well. (Crisp up the removed skin and eat it like candy.) Actually, the salsa verde's anchovies, capers and olive oil also star in tonnato sauce. Just remember to use good Italian tuna in olive oil.

I use Marcella Hazan's recipe from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (but often lazily use Hellman's instead of homemade mayo - works fine): http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/Vitello-Tonnato-Cold-Sliced-Veal-with-Tuna-Sauce-recipe-4663.aspx

sdebrango August 8, 2011

How about a shepherds pie using the pork instead of beef, whatever vegetables you like and topped with mashed potato.