A question about a recipe: Banana Pudding

I have a question about the ingredient "Nilla wafers (please, no substitutes here!)" on the recipe "Banana Pudding" from merrill.

hi, no nilla wafers here in the uk, what would be similar? Maybe sponge fingers/ladyfingers/custard creams/ shortbread? or could i make them?
thanks in advance

• Posted by: TammyE
  • August 15, 2011
95b5c0ef c8ca 4dbc b169 e4ec757cd056  banana pudding
Recipe question for: Banana Pudding

sdebrango August 15, 2011

A nilla wafer is a thin crisp vanilla flavored cookie, small and round, Kind of distinct but you might substitute a classic tea biscuit. McVities makes a crunchy tea biscuit. I think the biscuits you mentioned are not crisp and dense enough for the recipe. Maybe Merrill will weigh in on her recommendation.

garlic&lemon
garlic&lemon August 15, 2011

I agree with sdebrango. You will be disappointed with the soft spongey biscuits. I think you can find Maria biscuits in the UK. They are thin, crispy and vanilla flavored, bigger than nilla wafers, but you can break them up.

Merrill Stubbs August 15, 2011

As both of the wise commenters above noted, you need something crisper and more dense than sponge or ladyfingers, and shortbread is probably too dense. I think the texture of Rich Tea Biscuits might be the best fit.