🔕 🔔

what to do with my chilis?

My chili pepper plant is a prolific producer (it's a super chili; fruit is about the size and spice of a serrano) and I can't use the peppers fast enough! I know chili week was last week, but I'd like recipes for salsa or something that will use a lot of chilis at once. Any ideas?

asked by lazychef about 6 years ago

4de32233 9b14 42ac bf6a 7a02a8474e54  dsc 0034

try pickling some of your chilis! http://www.davidlebovitz...

they will make a wonderful addition to huevos rancheros, chilis, burritos, and other kinds of soups

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

There was a foodpickle question about jalapenos, that may apply to preserving your home grown chili peppers for future use before they go bad. Here it is: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

Also, as you may know, a search for chili peppers in the recipe search may inspire you!

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

if you like to pickle things (especially carrots), throw a chile or two in each jar with them. amazing flavor!

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I just freeze chilis raw, dice them up, wrap them well and use them this winter when you're looking for some spice.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

LIke inpatskitchen, I freeze chilis raw, but I just put them is a zip lock bag uncut. Just takes a moment.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

When I have an abundance of chilis, I like to roast them and then put them unpeeled and unseeded in a ziploc bag and stick them in the freezer. When you want to use them, take them out of the freezer. It's not necessary to completely defrost them, but after about 10 minutes or so you will be able to easily peel and seed them. You can cook them further and use them in soups, stews and chiles or add them to fresh salsa or guacamole.

09e96f32 5fc6 465f ae05 9f156b104560  family feb2012 version 2

I agree with all of these suggestions and want to add a couple more. Be sure and allow at least some of your chiles to fully ripen - turn red. Then treat them the same as the green ones: pickle, vinegar, roast, freeze, etc. The green and red versions of the same chile have slightly different tastes. You can also dry the fully ripened chiles by tying them in strings (with string) and hanging them in a dry place outside. BTW, here in New Mexico, chili is what we call the dish with beans and meat made in Texas or other foreign places. Chile is what we call the peppers and the green or red sauces made with them. Plural: chiles. (Official State Question: Red or Green?, referring to which one you want on your food. If you want both, that's "Christmas.")

I really enjoy heat on grilled foods (corn, potatoes, chicken) Have it as an add on and 'pickle' them... slice thin and mix with 2 tablespoons of sugar and lemon juice... let sit and you can just snack on them or add them to the top on any meal to add some controlable heat... Especially love it on top of soup =)

Thanks for all the great suggestions!