How do I keep my salmon cakes from falling apart?

Do I need to add more binder or more egg or make the flakes much smaller? Whenever I make salmon cakes with cooked salmon which I have flaked, the cakes always disintegrate when I cook them. I refrigerate them before cooking as well but that does not solve the problem.

boulangere August 23, 2011

You probably need more egg and perhaps some Panko crumbs.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice August 23, 2011

If they are too dry they will fall apart, so adding another egg might help - I often actually use mayo as my binder and it works quite well. Are you putting both breadcrumbs and egg in them? Your thought of flaking the salmon into smaller pieces may also help. Big chunks don't work very well. I usually mix my salmon cake mixture up so it's almost a whipped consistency!

Ruthy
Ruthy April 8, 2018

How much mayo to 1 14.75 oz can salmon?

totalnoms
totalnoms August 23, 2011

Ritz crackers work great as a binder too- the butter in the crackers helps keep cakes like that together. More egg should help as well.

ChefJune August 23, 2011

I use egg white to bind my turkey burgers, and that would work well in your salmon cakes where you may not want a lot more fat or filler.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen August 23, 2011

It's hard to say without seeing your recipe. I use 1 egg for 1 pound of salmon, but I also use a little creme fraiche and mustard. Mayo works as well.

amysarah August 23, 2011

In addition to the advice above re: adding egg and some sort of crumb - I always make any kind of fishcake at least a half to one hour before pan-frying them.

I form them and coat or dust them very lightly in panko/bread crumbs - gives a slight outer crust, which is both nice texturally and also helps keep them together in the pan. Then let them rest in the fridge for a bit - this really makes them more cohesive when cooking.

RonnieG
RonnieG January 15, 2019

Ground fish breaks up easily when handled and to keep together in a patty they end up fat and squatty For nice looking patties that cook evenly lightly oil a cookie sheet use a tupperware patty maker, (the pusher and the open ended middle section) not the base that has a bottom. Place the open ended section on your oiled cookie sheet where you want to place your patty sprinkle your choice of fish coating, instant potato flakes, bread crumbs etc. on your cookie sheet in the bottom of the open ended section, place a slightly rounded 1/3 cup fish mixture in ring even out with your fingers to eliminate voids when pressing, sprinkle additional fish coating, potato flakes or bread crumbs on top of fish mixture to prevent pusher from sticking when forming your patty. Slightly lift open-ended ring and ease patty through with pusher on to cookie sheet. No additional handling necessary its ready for the oven, you now have nice looking uniform patties that didn't break apart from handling.