Poached Salmon is Like Cardboard!

I need to poach salmon on the stovetop for someone who can't have any oil (hence the poaching.) I've tried it a few times, and the flavor is good, but the fish turns very stiff and hard. The salmon I use has been previously frozen, if that makes a difference. (Of course, I thaw it before cooking.) Has anyone had this problem? What am I doing wrong?

amysarah May 2, 2016

Sounds like you're poaching at too high a water temp - it should be just simmering, not at a hard boil - and/or for too long a time.

Angelique
Angelique May 2, 2016

Thanks! I just thought of something, too: My poaching liquid was half water, half orange juice. Would that make a difference?

C Sangueza
C Sangueza May 2, 2016

The acidity of the orange juice could mean the cooking time needs to be less. Think of what lemon juice does to ceviche. That's a guess but it could be a factor.

scruz
scruz May 2, 2016

in my own experience, i have had lesser quality (less fatty salmon) and find it to be too dry for my tastes. try to find out the type of salmon (king is great; keta or dog salmon not so good in my and others' opinions) before you buy it. here is a link to epicurious on salmon: http://www.epicurious.com...

Melusine
Melusine May 2, 2016

I swear by Cook's Illustrated Oven-Poached Whole Salmon --https://www.cooksillustrated...

If you don't subscribe --

1 whole salmon (5 to 8 pounds), gutted, scaled, washed well, and fins trimmed away with kitchen shears
3tablespoons cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
1tablespoon table salt
½teaspoon table salt
2 lemons, one sliced and the other squeezed to yield 3 tablespoons juice

Wrap in a foil tent; bake at 250 degrees for 2 - 2.5 hours until it's 125 - 130 degrees inside. Even ho-hum farmed salmon comes out nicely -- especially if served with Mrs Larkin's Special Sauce.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl May 6, 2016

Try my recipe for Swedish Fish: https://food52.com/recipes.... The poaching liquid is boiled to concentrate the flavors, but once you had the fish it simply sits in the hot water. Moist (!) every time.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl May 6, 2016

*add
(Autocorrect!?)

Michele
Michele May 6, 2016

I poach salmon often and have used orange juice and water, orange juice straight or white wine. I find that if you keep it really, really low it helps, also cover the salmon with slices of cucumber / orange / lemon. However, if the salmon was previously frozen it does end up dry and not as pleasant. Using fresh seems to be the key.