"Honest Peach Pie" called for lard - can I use Crisco instead?

asked by KitchenKim about 7 years ago

I'll certainly defer to thirschfeld, but I would say that you can, but you may not be as happy with the result. Shortening (especially if it's cold) will give you a flaky crust, but the crust will have next to no taste.

You might try all or part (cold) butter, if like me you do not use lard.

KitchenKim

...as you can see I am a pie crust "novice, and I will not use lard. How should I adapt the recipe for the best results?

This recent foodpickle discussion had a lot of great info about the fat options for pie crusts: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...
I especially recommend taking a look at that New York Times article. The bottom line is that you can use all Crisco, but it won't taste as good as it would if you're able to use some butter or other animal fat.

KitchenKim

Thank you so much for sending the link. But I must make it clear - I would rather use butter than Crisco. :)

twosavoie

You can use an equal amount of butter.

mcd2

i have read that crisco is not the same crisco that cooks used in the 40's/50's-that it more of a chemical concoction. i personally wouldn't use it for a food-I wouldn't ingest it. in any case, if you don't want to use lard, butter is the go to option for pie crust. real lard is difficult to find in many areas of the country also. some of the stuff sold in grocery store is not quality lard. anyone else know more of the particulars about quality lard and how to find it?

Leaf lard is wonderful, mcd2., but if not available, as it is not where I live, I use plain old 1 pound blocks of it which I refrigerate and carve up. Crisco would be the last alternative after lard (1) and unsalted butter (2).