zucchini pancakes for dinner, wish to recreate a wonderful meal with friends, so, no eggs, suggestions please.

mostly vegan diet but can be flexable...

asked by sheredel about 7 years ago

BonPasture

My mother makes these savory pancakes that are a Korean savory appetizer, here is the vegan take on Zucchini pancakes:

The pancake:
1 C. flour
1 1/2 T. Baking Powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 C. unsweetened soy milk
2 Tbsp. Safflower oil, or canola oil
pinch of salt
and a sprinkle of white pepper, or fresh ground black pepper
*Mix all ingredients together, making sure not to over mix!

The add ins:
1 C. Zucchini, shredded, or thinly sliced; sprinkle with (iodized) salt, let sit for 5 minutes to render out water that's in the veg. Gently squeeze the zucchini or wrap it in a clean kitchen towel to extract most of the water out.
3 T. Perilla leaves, chiffonade (if you can't find these leaves, use your favorite herb! Basil is a great substitute too.)
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
opt: 1/2 of a small onion sliced or diced
Saute the onions and garlic with a tsp of oil in a non stick pan til translucent/ tender, add the zucchini and do a quick saute. Let the mixture cool and add it into the pancake batter.
On a medium heat setting, griddle the pancakes looking for tiny bubbles to appear before flipping, enjoy the pancakes with ko chu jang sauce (recipe follows).

Ko Chu Jang Sauce:
3 T. Fermented korean chili paste (ko chu jang) found in Korean markets, or sometimes available at your local market.
1 T. brown sugar (if you like it sweeter, just add to taste!)
2 T. luke warm water
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Hope you and your friends have a wonderful meal!

sheredel

sounds delicous! an option! and more good news, an egg appears...choice!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

When I make pancakes, my most common egg substitute is 1 tbp ground flaxseed blended with 3 tbp warm water until thick and gooey like an egg. Works as a substitution most standard recipes.