What are your favorite sandwiches that don't need to be warmed up?

I'm trying to come up with some fresh, out-of-the-ordinary ideas for lunchtime sandwiches for the fall. I'm open to ones that have to be assembled and the filling can even be something that needs to be warmed. No grilling abilities though, so no toasted bread or paninis. Any favorites?

Voted the Best Reply!

Sam1148 September 12, 2011

This is a three day sandwich.

Take a loaf of crusty bread. Scoop out the interior. Mix with a can of chick peas (mostly drained) to make a hummus (tahini optional) or use white beans in a food processor. (lemon juice, olive oil, garlic) Coat the interior with that with layers of provolone, Mortadella , smoked bell peppers, artichoke (canned is fine)...and thinly sliced layers of zucchini and pepperoncicni, finish up with some fresh parsley and salt/pepper..
Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight.
Slice off bits to pack for lunch and it's good for three days.

Hummusit
Hummusit September 13, 2011

I like this one; Tuscan Tuna-and-Bean Sandwich (http://www.gourmet.com...).
Often, though, I'll go for simpler stuff: avacodo with hummus and onion (the avacado and hummus take away the onion's bite), or smoked turkey breast with roasted pepper.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Open face sandwich: Crisp whole grain rye bread slice with fresh butter, sliced ripe tomato,sliced sweet onion topped with fresh ground pepper and salt.

drbabs September 13, 2011

best. sandwich.ever.
vegetarian:
authentic New Orleans muffaletta:

fiveandspice
fiveandspice September 13, 2011

This is one of my favorite sandwiches: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
Curried chicken salad is really good (I think Amanda has a curried smoked turkey version on this site), I also love making a sandwich with leftover slices of roasted sweet potato, avocado and chevre; or ham and fontina with pear slices and a tiny sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg.

EmilyC
EmilyC September 13, 2011

I love lots of roasted vegetables (red bed pepper, eggplant, onion, etc.) piled high on a baguette or crusty bread (softened with oil and vinegar) with a good cheese. You can roast all the vegetables ahead of time and the sandwiches will be great served at room temp.

SouffleBombay
SouffleBombay September 13, 2011

I LOVE a vegetarian muffaletta! Here is a fantastic one I have made numerous times. http://threemanycooks.com/conversations/muffalettas-and-you-won%E2%80%99t-miss-the-meat/

I also enjoy big beautiful tomatoes, basil and wonderful shaves of Parmesan or other good cheese with a hint of mayo between two slices of great bread!

ChefJune September 13, 2011

My favorite sandwiches are both make ahead and messy: Pan Bagnat, and Muffuletta. Muffuletta is especially great for tailgating.

Shallot
Shallot September 13, 2011

I like a sandwich with goat cheese, roasted beets, and arugula. Also, brie, sliced apple or pear, and a bit of honey, and maybe a few pine nuts.

Wini Moranville
Wini Moranville September 13, 2011

In Parma, Italy, once I thought I was ordering a prosciutto sandwich with butter, but instead got one with mayonnaise (my Italian isn't the greatest). It was wonderful! There is something about prosciutto and mayo on a great roll that makes the sandwich way more than the sum of its parts. That, and a piece of fruit, is a great lunch. (Of course, prosciutto and butter is great, too). (P.S.: Try La quercia prosciutto, pictured)

jpopelish
jpopelish September 13, 2011

Here is a very tasty sandwich I recently made up. Butter and spread with mayo or Miracle Whip type salad dressing, two slices of soft bread. Cover one slice with about 1/4 inch thick slices of ripe tomato and then cover that with a slice of swiss cheese. Cut 8 green olives in half and drain on a paper towel and then spread those halves across the other slice, cut side down (to reduce them sliding out of the sandwich) and cover that with 3 or 4 rashers of warmed bacon. Then slap the two prepared slices together. The sweet tomato and pungent cheese make one wonderful combination of tastes and the salty bacon and tart olives form another. Every bite is delicious and nutritious.

Melusine
Melusine September 13, 2011

A twist on EmilyC's favorite -- hummus on one side, labneh or Greek yogurt on the other instead of the oil/cheese.

drbabs September 14, 2011

In last week's NY Times Food section, Melissa Clark had a great article about school lunches with some really creative sandwiches:
http://www.nytimes.com...

innoabrd
innoabrd September 14, 2011

I do these for teacher appreciation lunches at school and they go over well:

I also grill a beef tenderloin (fillet) and then slice it cold the next day for sandwiches with a wasabi mayo (good mayo with added wasabi) and some greens.

seabirdskitchen
seabirdskitchen September 14, 2011

I do a simple sandwich that needs time to sit so that some of the oil soaks into the bread. Weird, I know, but absolutely delicious.

1/2 avocado mushed up
a couple of thin slices of ham
pickled jalapeno
a couple of thin slices of swiss cheese
a couple of thin slices of tomato
some horseradish cream
salt to taste

Make the sandwich by putting the avocado next to the bread. The other ingredients in any order. Wrap tightly in cling wrap to compress the sandwich. Keep in the fridge until ready to eat.

clintonhillbilly
clintonhillbilly September 14, 2011

I really like a simple avocado and sharp cheddar sandwich on rye. Mustard, avocado slices, a nice thick slice of extra sharp cheddar, tomato slices, and lettuce or sprouts. I'm also a fan of cold roasted turkey with a cranberry-mayonnaise. Another nice combo is ripe heirloom tomatoe slices, thin-sliced garlic (or rub the bread with garlic), shaved manchego, and fresh thyme on baguette-- preferably open faced. Finally, most lunch cold cuts are great topped with red onion marmalade, and it goes with most cheeses too.

Meatballs&Milkshakes
Meatballs&Milkshakes September 14, 2011

Thanks everyone! These are some great suggestions! I'll definitely be trying some of them in the next couple of weeks.

Michelle Clark Czerwinski
Michelle Clark Czerwinski September 16, 2011

Cold meatloaf sandwiches...good for leftover meatloaf.

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 16, 2011

Chicken salad, goold ol' ham & cheese, and roasted red peppers, boursin and rare roast beef - delish!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Two slices of Rudy's honey whole wheat bread toasted- Earth Balance mayonnaise- Grey Poupon mustard- sliced pimento stuffed green olive- sliced fresh jalapeno- sliced cucumber- sliced tomato- sliced avocado- sliced fresh onion- fresh spinach leaves......Spread M&M on toast- stack remainder neatly and strategically on one slice of toast, preferably in suggested order- salt and grind pepper on tomatoes before topping with avocado- enclose, contain and refrigerate for cool and satisfying lunch break.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Baguette. . . Cherry Jam. Haystack Goats Cheese. Prosciutto. Arugula.

james francis
james francis November 26, 2011

My favorite sandwich is plain and simple: a baguette dressed with good butter, quality ham, and a slice of emmental cheese. Quick, cheap, and keeps for a while. Hard to beat.

mensaque
mensaque November 27, 2011

On a baguette,spread some mayo:don't be stingy!Mortadela,sliced red tomatoes,onion,lettuce.Go for it...Another favorite of mine is the tomato,salami,swiss cheese,onion and oregano,lots of butter--but it does taste better grilled...even on a pan--no skills required,I promise.

mensaque
mensaque November 27, 2011

Forgot the ketchup on the second one--very important.And that you can use olive oil on that one instead of butter.

bigpan
bigpan November 27, 2011

No need to get fancy here ... good old fashioned tuna with a bit extra mayo, scallions and sweet green pickle. Comfort plus.

'Shirley,Ann
'Shirley,Ann November 30, 2011

Tuna! Healthy, fulfilling and satisfying.

Steve  O 68
Steve O 68 December 24, 2011

Any version of the classic sandwich that originated at the Central Grocery in New Orleans, the Muffaletta!

janixes
janixes January 8, 2012

Jamón Serrano, manchego and tomato bocadillo on a baguette style
Bahn mi (poached chicken or traditional cold roast pork)
Cold poached chicken with aioli in croissant bread.