🔕 🔔

My Basket ()

All questions

what is that lacey-sheet of fat called, which people wrap around lean meats before searing? Where can you buy it in NYC?

asked by jondotli about 5 years ago
5 answers 2554 views
Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill
Merrill Stubbs

Merrill is a co-founder of Food52.

added about 5 years ago

I think you're talking about caul fat. Not sure where you can get it in New York, but you might want to try Jeffrey's in the Essex Street Market.

B49c6374 33c4 465f 8afe ccfad6f66ecf  jan4
added about 5 years ago

Perfect. Thanks, Merrill.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

amysarah is a trusted home cook.

added about 5 years ago

Not sure where you are in NYC, but Ottomanelli's on Bleecker St. is good about ordering things, even if they don't always carry it. Also on Bleecker, you might try Faicco's - they make lots of sausage, so maybe they'd have it.

23b88974 7a89 4ef5 a567 d442bb75da04  avatar
added about 5 years ago

Caul is also great for making various meatball-like creations, such as faggots (http://butchershook.net...). There's a non-pork version found in Egypt as well, though can't recall the name off the top of my head.

C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

pierino is a trusted source on General Cooking and Tough Love.

added about 5 years ago

One thing about caul fat is that it's very perishable, so don't buy a lot at once. If I remember correctly it's taken from the area around the pig's kidneys.